I submitted the following to CRA as a formal Access to Information Request:
Please provide records/statistics detailing information submitted to United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS), U.S. Treasury or any other American agency, organization or individual in 2015 or in 2016 for the American Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) as follows (indicate the agency, organization or individual that received the information for the FATCA):
1. The number of individuals reported.
2. The number of individuals reported that were Canadian citizens.
3. The number of individuals reported that were permanent residents of Canada.
4. The number of individuals reported that were temporary residents of Canada.
5. The number with Canadian addresses.
6. The number with address in the U.S.
7. The number with addresses in other countries, and the name of those countries.
8. The number of individuals that were advised that their information was transferred.
9. The number of total accounts reported.
10. The number of bank accounts reported.
11. The number of credit unions reported.
12. The number of investment accounts reported.
a. The type of investment account.
b. The number of each type of investment account.
13. The number of insurance accounts.
14. The number of other types of accounts.
a. The type of investment account.
b. The number of each type of other account.
15. The number of accounts under $50,000 U.S.
16. The number of accounts between $50,000 and $1,000,000 U.S.
17. The number of accounts over $1,000,000 U.S.
18. The number of RRSP accounts.
19. The number of RESP accounts.
20. The number of RDSP accounts.
21. The number of TSFA accounts.
22. The number of accounts that were held jointly with non-U.S. person individuals – i.e. spouse, family member, business partner, other.
a. The number of each type of account.
b The relationship of each account holder to the “U.S. Persons”.
23. The number of accounts of organizations reported to IRS because a “U.S. Person” had signing authority, interest in or any other connection to the organization.
a. The number of business accounts.
b. The number of professional accounts, i.e. physician, lawyer or other professional practice accounts.
c. The number of charitable or non-profit organization accounts.
d. The number that were connected to other organizations, and the type of organization.
24. The agency, organization or individual the information was provided to.
25. The protection that was secured to ensure this information will not be provided to any other agency, organization or individual.
26. The protection that was secured to ensure information transmitted will not be subject to identity theft, fraud, other criminal activity or breach of privacy.
Provide records/statistics detailing information received by Canada from the United States as follows:
27. The number of records Canada received from the United States.
28. The number of individuals Canada received information about.
29. The number of individuals that live in Canada.
30. The number of individuals that live in the U.S.
31. The number of individuals that live in other countries.
32. The names of those countries.
33. The number of accounts Canada received information about.
a. The type of information that was in the records Canada received, i.e.:
Income from the accounts.
Transactions, deposits and withdrawals.
Social insurance numbers.
Other information (specify).
34. The type of information Canada received that was not provided in information provided by the U.S. prior to the FATCA Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA).
35. The date Canada received this information.