DONORS: We Did It!!
We just made our target of $18,500
PLEASE STOP FURTHER DONATIONS
The Donation button is now closed, only six days after the launch of the Canadian Charter Challenge Fund ~ and well AHEAD of our three week schedule.
Thank you all so much for being part of this important first in fighting the FATCA invasion into our honest, productive lives as Canadian citizens and residents. Together, we can make a difference.
- We will sign today a contract between Lynne Swanson and Stephen Kish, on behalf of all of the donors, and the Vancouver law firm of Farris, Vaughan, Wills & Murphy, which will provide a legal opinion on the constitutionality of the proposed IGA legislation. We are issuing a bank draft to pay most of the legal fee with the remainder provided once the cheques and donations still in the mail have cleared the bank.
- We are hoping that there will be little if any money received beyond the requested $18,500. Should there be extra monies, these will be distributed per the details provided in the CCCF website.
- Approximately 30 days from today we will conduct a final accounting of all monies received, expended, and all fees paid and publish this information on the CCCF website.
Remember, this is just the first step, and we all know that the next step will be much more difficult.
“Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase. Just take the first step” ~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Stephen Kish and Lynne Swanson thank you for having the faith to take that first step with us.
Before you rush to an accountant or lawyer in a panic, if you are close to any of these locations, check out one of these information sessions on Solving the Problem of U.S. Citizenship:
ADMISSION FEE $20 UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED
- Toronto ON, “Just Finding Out You May Be Subject to US Taxation? Stay Calm, Let’s Talk” Sat Mar 8, 8-9 am,100 St. Joseph St. $10 CONFIRMED
- Waterloo ON, Sat Mar 8, 4-7 pm, Conrad Grebel Univ. College, 140 Westmount Rd. N., Waterloo, ON N2L 3G6 Rm 1300, Free parking CONFIRMED
- Hamilton ON, Tues Mar 11, 6-9 pm, TBA
- Montreal PQ, Sun Mar 16,12-5 pm, McGill Univ. Faculty of Law, 3644 Rue Peel, Rm 110 (moot court) CONFIRMED COST – FREE Details
- North Bay ON, Sat Mar 22,1-4 pm, Legion #23, 150 First Ave W., North Bay, ON P1B 3B9, Boardroom CONFIRMED
- Richmond Hill ON, Sat Mar 29,1-4 pm, TBA
- Munich, Germany, Sat April 5, 2-5 pm, Eine WeltHaus München,Schwanthalerstr.80, München, Rm 211-212 (top floor) CONFIRMED COST €14
- Berlin, Germany, Sun April 6, Venue TBA
- Calgary, April 19, TBA
- Edmonton, April 20, TBA
Who: John Richardson
$20 donation to offset costs-payable at the door
February 6, 2014 Update: Yesterday, Finance Canada announced an IGA with the United States that may change some of the information presented here. We will update as more information becomes available and we better understand what it may mean.
Perhaps you’ve just read one of the sensationalist IRS-propaganda articles in the media that says every person born on US soil is a US citizen and must file income tax reports to the US, and are at risk for huge penalties. Perhaps you heard about this situation through another person who has a US connection. Either way, you’re probably confused about what this means and what you need to do about it. Continue reading
The Green Party says FATCA Is A Threat to Canadian Rights and Sovereignty
In a news release today, Elizabeth May said:
“Although it contains certain exemptions, the agreement negotiated by Minister Flaherty fails to address the most significant threats that FATCA poses to Canadian privacy and human rights.”
She also wants more time for people to provide input
“This deadline should be extended to provide greater opportunities for the public to offer comments on the proposal – There is no reason why public input needs to be rushed on this issue.”
The press release also provides information about possible Charter violations, citing the opinion of Peter Hogg.
To my knowledge, she is the first politician or leader of a political party to issue a formal statement since the IGA was announced.
Canadian visitors to Washington sometimes wonder why their embassy stands at the foot of Capitol Hill.
The answer? To be close to where Canada’s laws are made.
That lead on James Jatras’ commentary in Toronto Star, Enforce Canadian Law, Not FATCA sums up well the FATCA story in Canada.
James shows the FATCA `negotiations` for the sham that they were and says:
Canada’s capitulation to this expensive, invasive and anti-sovereign demand is unnecessary.
Enforce Canadian Law, Not FATCA
We’ve had some requests to post the letters people are writing. Some of the letters are from people pointing out facts and information, some are angry letters, and others are heartfelt pleas.
Reading what someone else has written can help us figure out what we want to say, so Blaze and I thought it would be a good idea to have a place where people can share their letters.
You can cut & paste into a comment, but if you want to submit a PDF or Word document, just email it to me and I’ll get it in and create a link to it.
Thanks to Petit Suisse for the inspiration for this. Petit Suisse has added the letter to the comments on the FATCA Information from Canada Revenue Agency thread.
I’ve uploaded it here, and it’s a great way to kick off this thread.
Reminder of address:
Snail Mail address:
Tax Policy Branch
Department of Finance
140 O’Connor Street